Trimming Shears: Best Buyer Guide to Your Garden Snipping Shears
Today we are going to be talking about trimming shears or as some gardeners call them; garden snips. These nice gadgets are specially designed to deal with fine plant materials related garden jobs like deadheading, trimming, and shaping needs for your roses, annuals, vegetable and small flower gardens. So let’s look in to some of the important things you should know about snipping shears and their use. We will also list down some of the best trimming shears in the market so you can narrow your search if you are planning to buy one.
Why use garden snips
Trimming shears are perfect for everything from deadheading old flowers to snipping stems and trimming off from plants. Many gardeners use them for managing ornamental grasses, perennials and annuals, bonsai work or anything that require fine attention.
When you have to deal with lots of small plant materials like leafs, stems and flowers, what you need is flexibility more than the cutting power. Trimming shears are extremely lightweight and easy to handle, therefore comes in handy when dealing with these types of jobs. Most of the garden nips have narrow and fine tips. This is useful because they provide unbelievable control when it comes to pruning small stems, leafs and vines. Regular pruning shears on the other hand are heavy and difficult to control over and around small stems and twigs.
Trimming shears over other pruning shears
Garden sips have fine tips that can reach difficult places in the plant. They make it possible to clip plant materials as close as possible to a particular point of a plant. Sharp edges in trimming shears can be used to deliver sharp cuts. This prevents mushing of the plant at the cutting position helping it to recover faster.
Good quality garden snips with a sharp cutting action will certainly help you to tackle all of your deadheading, soft trimming, bonsai work, vegetable and small flower gardens. They are also great for flower cutting and harvesting.
You have to consider the thickness of the plant material you have to trim to decide whether you are going to need a trimming shear or a regular pruning shear. Thick stems and branches are easy to cut with pruning shears. However, pruning soft growth is much easier and faster with trimming shears.
These snipping shears are also multipurpose tools. You will find this tool to be so incredibly useful and versatile around the house. There will surely be uses for it in kitchen, garden shed, garage, basement and workshop. Wherever you can imagine a nimble precision heavy-duty pair of scissors could be useful, that’s where you can put them to work.
What to consider when buying trimming shears
Most of the products available in the market features sharp stainless steel blades which make razor sharp clean cuts. This takes much of the effort out of the business and allow it to cut through many type of materials. It’s a good idea to look for stainless steel because they prevent rusting, easy to clean and reduce buildup around the pivot area. Decide the length of the blade and fineness in the blade tip depending upon the type of the work you regularly have to deal with.
Lightweight tools are the best but not at the cost of durability.
A trimming shear with sturdy handles with increased comfort and optimum performance, is generally recommended. There are also ergonomic designs in the market. However some gardeners prefer not to use these so called ergonomic products.
Non-slip, comfort grip handles will make it easy to work for long periods without discomfort.
Most of the garden snips are built spring loaded. They automatically flexes back to their original position without you having to do the heavy work. This aids the person greatly reducing his/her hand fatigue. They are also a great assistance for those who suffer with arthritis, carpal tunnel, hand or wrist issues.
Blade lock and covers
Safe and secure way to lock or cover trimming shear blade will be a great feature to consider. Garden snips are very sharp on the blade as well as the tip. You can easily cut yourself or damage any of your items with it. You can avoid some of these working hazards by purchasing an item with such protective feature.
Some gardeners prefer to stick in to a particular brand. In a market where everybody is looking for a quality product maintaining a good reputation means something. So brand is also something that worth your consideration.
Where to buy
You will always be able to buy a garden snips from your local hardware or garden supplies store. However, some people prefer to buy online as they can read reviews and get an idea about user experiences prior to purchase. Ultimately you want your product to last and perform well. So buying a good quality product will not only serve you well in terms of your invesement but also takes lot of frustration out of your gardening experience.
Some of the best trimming shears in the market
Here are some of the best garden scissors in the market. We’ve selected these products based on parameters like overall product quality, value for money, customer feedback and seller credibility. We always go deep in our selections, however, you can always read the product reviews on Amazon, by clicking on the product link.
The lightweight design and precision point blades of our gardening scissors make them the ideal choice for maintaining indoor gardens of herbs, flowers or hydroponic plants. Durable and corrosion resistant, you can count on a sharp blade and consistent cutting for years to come. A built-in safety lock keeps these super sharp blades securely closed until you’re ready to open them. The gentle spring action lets you smoothly open and close the blades, snip after snip, reducing the strain on your hands and wrists. A rubberized grip adds to your overall comfort while using this lightweight, precision-honed gardening tool
- Precision curved blade is ideal for hydroponic or window box gardening, including medicinal herbs.
- Comfort grip handle is ideal for gardeners with arthritis or those with restricted hand strength. Reduces hand fatigue during use
- Built in Safety lock keeps the razor sharp blades securely closed until you’re ready to open them. Hang them in your shed or carry them in a tool box
- Corrosion resistant stainless steel maintains razor-sharp edges for years of clean, consistent cuts and gardening pleasure
- Gentle spring action opens and closes blades smoothly, snip after snip, to deter blisters and reduce strain on your hands and wrists
Trimming shears are made for gardening and pruning your shrubs, cannabis, plants, or bonsai trees. These These garden snips are design for strength with stainless steel precision ground edge and stays sharp longer. The softgrip tool includes contoured high grade ergonomic and convenient steels blade. This high surgical steel durability is used for precision allowing this shear to sharpen as it trim the garden. Spring action gives easy action opening and closing. This trimming shear’s design is for garden trimming made much easier the edges cut through thick roses branches with little effort. The coated steel blade have strong sharp blades that make for very comfortable pruners. The non slip grip handles are simple and has unlocking spring mechanism for effortless easy cutting.
- Pruning scissor snips ideal for deadheading, gardens, lawns, parks, branches, flowers, that are designed for ultra light weight.
- Pruners users for right and lefthanded making landscaping shaping quick on small plants with ease.
- These trimming scissors have extra hard spring switch that will lock easier and slip less while heavy duty metal pruner cuts.
- Pruning shears guaranteed year round to have surgically sharp blades and maintain perfect quality for trimming cannabis hydroponics.
With precision sharpened stainless steel blades, these durable pruners allow you to work on your favorite flower gardens like roses, violas and petunias, tulips, petunias, daffodils, daisies and geraniums. Take these snips out to your home garden and see how well they help you collect fruit or vegetables including tomatoes, strawberries and bean picking. The small needle nose blades makes it easy to prune flowers or cut fruit and veggies at the stem without accidentally cutting a hidden branch or causing damage to stems that you were not intending to cut.
- These micro tip snips are built spring-loaded so that they automatically push themselves open without you having to do the work which greatly reduces hand fatigue.
- These quality snips come with stainless steel precision-sharpened blades and are ready to tackle all of your deadheading, trimming, and shaping needs for your roses, annuals, vegetable and small flower gardens.
- These micro tip garden snips feature a safe and secure sideways locking mechanism that keeps your blades protected and closed when not in use.
- The design of these pruning snips are perfect to use whether you are right or left handed with ease.
- With these micro tip snips, you can easily get between plants to “clip and snip” only the area or part that you want to cut with one-hand and without damaging the other vital stems and branches of your other plants.
These little sheers work very well, they are sharp, light weight, and easy to use. These trimming shears are made for trimming house plants, flowers and herbs. The spring action makes trimming plants fast, easy and less strain for your hand. These garden snips are designed with an ergonomic soft touch handle so they are easy to grip and handle.These are not heavy duty garden sheers, you will not be trimming bushes with these. Product features.
- Reduced hand stress while pruning flowers for long period of time. These trimming shears are designed with an ergonomic soft touch handle.
- Trim easier and faster with the spring loaded feature.
- More precise cut with its micro tip blade longer length stainless steel straight blade.
- Prune hard to reach areas and make pruning and trimming a breeze with the curved tip blade pruner.
These micro tip snips are built spring-loaded so that they automatically push themselves open without you having to do the work which greatly reduces hand fatigue making these snips great for those with arthritis, carpal tunnel, hand or wrist issues. These quality snips come with stainless steel precision-sharpened blades and are ready to tackle all of your deadheading, trimming, and shaping needs for your roses, annuals, vegetable and small flower gardens. These micro tip snips feature a safe and secure sideways locking mechanism that keeps your blades protected and closed when not in use. The design of these pruning snips are perfect to use whether you are right or left handed with ease. With these micro tip snips, you can easily get between plants to “clip and snip” only the area or part that you want to cut with one-hand and without damaging the other vital stems and branches of your other plants.
- Comfort Grip handles will make it easy to work for long periods of time without discomfort.
- Surgical stainless steel with titanium coating.
- Ideal for cutting and trimming flowers.
- With high quality springs can reduce hand strain.
- It will stay sharp during multiple uses and is very easy to clean.
Fiskars Softouch Micro-Tip Pruning Snip
Fiskars Softouch Micro-Tip Pruning Snip makes deadheading, trimming and shaping plants easy — so easy, it’s earned the Arthritis Foundation Ease of Use Commendation. An Easy Action design opens the blades after each cut to reduce hand strain, and the stainless-steel blades feature a precision-ground edge that stays sharp longer and cuts all the way to the tip for clean, healthy cuts on plants. Fiskars Softouch Micro-Tip Pruning Snip also include a handle with Softgrip touchpoints for a secure, comfortable grip.