Long Handled Shears for Lawn, Grass & Garden: Buyer Guides and Best Models in the Market
Having the right tool for the right job is going to make a big difference in the quality of your job and overall gardening experience. Today in sustainable gardening tools, we are going to talk about long handled shears: a tool that can take out lot of the strain and frustration in your lawn management & gardening jobs. We will first talk about why you may need a long handled lawn shear and unique advantages they can provide. We will also give you some information regarding how to use long handled grass shears properly. Then we will talk about some of the important things to you should consider them when you are looking to buy one. Finally, we will conclude with giving you a list of best long handled garden shears in the market for you to start your search with.
Why long handled shears?
Long handled shears are ideal for cutting long grass and other plant material in awkward or difficult to reach places.
If you have done enough hedging with garden shears, you will know there are always few difficult places in a garden you can’t just quite reach to get the work done properly. They are usually the places that takes your satisfaction away from a perfectly hedged garden. Long reach, and adjustable cutting angle provided with many long handled garden shears are perfect for difficult places like these.
If you do lot of grass trimming you would probably use a string trimmer. These are great because they are easy to use and rapid but at the cost of less precision. Lot of the useful plants and trees get damaged by using string trimmers. Long handled grass shears on the other hand, ideal for precision grass cutting due to adjustable blades that can be setup to run parallel to the ground. Unlike normal garden shears, long handled shears are more comfortable because you don’t have to bend down or sit in awkward position when cutting.
How to use a long handled garden shear
Step 1: make sure your long handled shear is clean and in good working order. If the blades have gone blunt, you can give it a little sharpening, check the pivot point, add little bit of oil or grease to smoothen the operation.
Step 2: Decide the position in your garden where you want to work and adjust the blade and reach accordingly.
Step 3: Place the shears near to the plant, blades parallel to the plant hedge or lawn. Give a quick swipe to the handle cutting numerous branches and leaves at one time.
Step 4: Continue, cut small sections and small amount of material at one time so you don’t over prune or trim your plants.
Step 5: Be sure to clean your long handled shear before putting them away to prevent from rust and decay. You can use regular vinegar or any other commercial product to clean
Things to consider when buying a long handled lawn shears
The length of the reach
Some products have longer handles than others. If you are primarily looking at grass trimming, most of the long handled grass shears will have sufficient lengths. If you plan to use this tool to trim tall hedges or hard to reach vegetation select the length depending on your application.
Weight of the shears
Lightweight is the best. Because you will be using a long handled sears mostly in awkward positions unless you are trimming grass. So having a long yet lightweight handles help reduce the back strain.
Blades are the most important part of a long handled lawn shears. There’s nothing irritating like folding of leafs around the blades without snipping off. Stainless steel or toughened carbon steel are the usual choices because of the added strength and easier cutting.
You will find fix bladed long handled shears as well as adjustable ones. Adjustable ones can be used as multipurpose tools, therefore, generally recommended over fixed ones. However, they are slightly more expensive than them.
Plastic composite handles are lightweight and durable than wood handles. However some still prefer wood handles which make the final choice a matter of personal preference. Some brands provide, telescopic handles as well.
Buy from a good brand
In a market where everyone is looking for quality, maintaining a good credibility as a brand mean something.
When you are purchasing a garden tool, you may be looking at years of good service. Therefore having the access to products with lot of user reviews and responses will be a great advantage when you are looking to buy one. You will not have this edge, if you are buying a tool from your local gardening store or hardware shop.
What are the common issues faced by people who use long handled shears?
Here are some of the common complains with long handled grass shears. These are the problems you should try to avoid.
- Blades of the garden shears stick (poor quality or less lubrication)
- Blades close halfway or blades deflect (improper use, poor quality)
- Hard to push and release leading to hand fatigue (friction in moving parts)
- Grip is off and difficult to handle ( poor and less ergonomic design)
- Blade denting (poor usage, weak blades)
- Separation between the blades even when they meet (poor design, poor usage & maintenance)
- Blades don’t cut that easy (dull blade, less leverage)
Best long handled shears in the market
Here are some of the best long handled garden shears in the market. We’ve selected these products based on parameters like overall product quality, value for money, customer feedback and seller credibility. We always go deep in our selections, however, you can always read the product reviews on Amazon, by clicking on the product link.
The Bahco long handled dawn Shear with horizontal blades is designed for cutting in difficult-to-reach areas missed by lawn mowers. Suitable for cutting in shrubs, borders, around tress, etc. These shears are sharp and well made. It will be truly is easy on the back because you will never want to bend down to cut weeds and growth around the trees.
- Lawn shear for cutting in difficult-to-reach areas where lawn mowers cannot gain access. Suitable for cutting in shrubs, borders, around tress, etc.
- Stamped, fully hardened, double-bevelled blade covered in black Xylan(R)-coating, and the counterblade with black Xyland-coating.
- Straight cutting edge, 20-cm length, and 90-cm long handles of round steel tubes, fitted with black plastic covers
The innovative design of our grass shears makes trimming your ornamental grasses easier than ever. A long shaft completely eliminates kneeling and bending, so you can get the job done without sore knees or an aching back. The blades swivel for convenience, and a smooth-cutting mechanism makes every snip virtually effortless. The fully hardened, precision-ground steel blades stay sharp and hold the grass up for clean cuts, the ergonomically designed handle offers comfortable use, and the lightweight aluminum shaft provides lasting durability.
- Ideal for edging and trimming decorative grasses around flower beds, trees and sidewalks
- Long shaft eliminates sore knees from kneeling and back ache from bending
- Blades swivel 360 degrees for easy trimming at any angle
- 4-1/2 inch blades hold grass up for clean cuts and cut all the way to the tip
- Lifetime warranty
Ever given up on low-quality shears and reached for your pruners to finish the job?That’s why we offer only professional-grade, extremely sharp clippers with balanced blades. Our Hedge Clippers are designed to ensure they don’t ever Rust, Break, or Get Stuck. With Planted Perfect Hedge Clippers, you will no more hesitate to apply force and get the job done. Our sturdy, durable blades easily handle the challenge every time.
- Length 9”, A3 carbon steel blades are always balanced, sharp and ready for perfect cuts
- Telescoping handles give extra leverage and force when you need it.
- Clippers quickly telescope from 22.4 – 29.1” for hard to reach hedges and pruning.
- Extended handles provide better grip and leverage for cleaner, easier cuts through any shrubs.
- Lightweight handle design extends from and shock absorbing bumpers provide firm, steady grips and cuts. Get the best out of your garden with smarter trimming.
- Lifetime warranty for the product
Gardena’s aim is to provide a simple and convenient solution to all of your watering, soil and lawn care problems. We manufacture reliable, quality gardening equipment to make light work of your gardening tasks, giving you more time to relax and enjoy your garden. Our commitment to bring you reliable gardening equipment doesn’t stop when you buy your Gardena product from your local garden center. We offer a minimum 12 month parts and labor warranty on all our products so in the unlikely event that your Gardena product develops a fault, we will repair or replace the item free of charge. If your product is older than 12 months we have a national repair service which will give you a free estimate for parts and labor to repair your product.
- These long handled shears are perfect for precise cutting of lawn edges, especially where access is difficult.
- For an upright working position protecting your back.
- Blades can be swiveled up to 90-degrees to each side
- These long handled shears allow you to do easy precise cutting due to blades with non-stick coating.
- Easy grip handle with soft plastic components.